10 Reasons to Hire a Doula
- Your birth experience matters. The way that you are supported, cared for and informed throughout the birth will remain with you through life.
- Doulas are team players. Although they seek to affirm all other caregivers, a doula is uniquely trained to handle the non-medical aspects of birth.
- Birth holds many unknowns. A doula will help give you confidence to anticipate your birth as a natural, positive experience.
- Doulas are often instrumental in helping Dad or another birth partner assist you. Dad will probably enjoy the experience more too!
- Doula-assisted births statistically show a lower incidence of medical interventions of all kinds.*
- Doula-assisted births statistically show a higher level of maternal satisfaction, mother-infant bonding and breastfeeding success.*
- Doula-assisted births statistically produce a greater sense of accomplishment and esteem in the birthing mother, as well as less postpartum depression.*
- A doula will make herself available to get to know you and your birth preferences, and will help you prepare accordingly.
- A doula will meet you where you are, help you see where you will be, and walk with you until you have arrived.
- Having a doula has no known risks.
*For current research findings, visit the website for DONA International: www.dona.org.